Make sure your home is safe
- Always keep your house keys with you.
- Do not leave your house keys on display.
- Before opening your front door, look through your peephole.
- Keep garage doors locked (padlock).
- Draw the curtains or close the shutters before going to bed.
- Ensure that your windows are secure.
- Make sure all security lights work.
- If you are on holiday or a weekend away set timers for lights, radio, tv set or other devices to pretend someone is at home.
- Inform your neighbours when you go on holidays.
- While leaving home switch the alarm on if you have one.
- After moving house always change locks, because you never know how many sets of keys have been produced before.
- Ask your reliable local locksmith for free survey of your home security and upgrade it if necessary.
- Ensure whether the locksmith you chose is fully insured.
- Replace or install new locks suitable to BS 3621.
- Avoid posting holiday plans, pictures of the ongoing holidays on social networking sites, especially on Facebook, where strangers may see them.
- Uncollected mail is a sign that you are away. The Royal Mail’s ‘Keepsafe’ service will keep your mail for up to 2 months while you are away. Go for it (set it up).
- Make sure that you have up to date contents and property insurance.